Sunday, September 02, 2007

Tech 33 Notre Dame 3

And, yes, Lynda and I were there!! It's always great to beat a team with such a rich tradition. And they do have tradition - the band, the stadium, all those Heisman winners and All Americans. But keep in mind Tech is no slouch in the tradition department either. John Heisman, for whom the trophy is named, was Tech's coach from 1904 to 1919. But still, it's Notre Dame.

I got the doctor's approval Friday to go onto oral medications and discontinue the IV antibiotics. So I no longer needed the PICC line in my upper arm and it was removed Friday afternoon. We got on the plane to go to South Bend to watch the game the next morning. For the first time in over a year I am "line less" - meaning no heart catheters hanging out of my chest or arm. It won't last long since I'll have to have another line put in my chest for the next transplant, but it sure is nice for now.

Still no word on the donor status yet. I talked to my transplant coordinator in Houston last Thursday and found out that they still had not received the official letter from Humana. So I had to work on Humana to get my letter faxed out that afternoon. I can be sort of persistent, if not down right pushy some would say, when I have to be.

So now that MD has the official insurance approval they can begin to contact the donor through the bone marrow registry. Hopefully that started on Friday. We should hear something by Wednesday.

Back to Notre Dame. The people there were very friendly. They didn't even remotely harass Lynda and me as we weaved our way through all the tailgaters with our Tech stuff on before the game. There was plenty of beer cans being emptied but they were not obnoxious like some (read UGA fans) would have been. Funny, it seemed like every tailgate party had a bean bag game going. I didn't understand that, but maybe it's a lot more fun after a few beers than it appears to be when sober. Even after the game we encountered absolutely no animosity from any ND fans. I guess they were just glad it was us instead of Appalachian State. LOL They did cheer mightily though when the Michigan score was announced.

BTW, if you were wondering what "Touchdown Jesus" is, it is a mural of Jesus standing with arms raised on the south side of the library. The library is maybe 10 stories high and sits due north of the football stadium. So from most seats in the stadium, especially from our south end zone seats, you see the library with Jesus lined up right between the goal posts signaling touchdown with His raised arms. I'm just glad He was signaling touchdowns for us Saturday.

My compliments to ND - they are a class act. I never knew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home