Sunday, September 10, 2006

Rough Couple of Days

I started running a fever yesterday morning. I've had some congestion since last week. Maybe it turned into something. They ran a "nasal wash" test last week and found out I have infuenza A. They weren't concerned about the influenza, saying that it would go away when my white counts come up.

But with a fever, things changed. So I've been on antibiotics since yesterday afternoon. I am feeling a lot better tonight. To give you antibiotics they just hang a bag of antibiotics on the IV tree and connect the line into one of the existing "y" fittings. No fuss, no muss, no bother.

They started me on Neupogen on Friday. Neupogen is a growth stimulating factor used to boost the white count in people on chemotherapy. It's administered by needle. Actually I give it to myself in the belly. I've used Neupogen quite a few times over the last couple of years. The first time I gave myself a shot a couple of years ago I was shaking like a leaf. Lynda was laughing it was so comical. But it's like sticking a short needle in a ripe peach. Not much to it.

The Neupogen is on the protocol starting Day 7 which was Friday. I'll get it everyday until the white counts come up to 3.0. The count was 0.1 this morning. After the whites come up and they stop the Neupogen, the white count will fall again. The idea is for the counts to fall somewhat then recover and grow on their own. That process will take about another week or so.

I did get a wheelchair ride down to the 3d floor last night for a chest xray. That was fun. I'll do about anything to get off of this floor. Ha

2 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Dad! Sorry you're sick! Well, sick in another way... Glad you'r feeling better tonight though. We went to the Braves game today - they won! Figured I'd better go see them while they're playing a team worse than they are. ;) Went to softball practice afterwards and got to start breaking in my new bat. I LOVE it! And now I'm doing laundry and watching Eli and Peyton Manning play each other. I though Peyton would be winning, but they are pretty close right now - 16 to 14. I bet Thanksgiving is interesting at he Manning house. College ball is so much better to watch than pro though.

I was going to call you, but I don't know what time you go to bed there. Will call tomorrow after work. Try to be good - I know you want them to wheel you down to different floors, but you'll get out sooner if you can stay on your own floor! :) I love you!

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bro,

Thanks for all the updates. I'll get out there soon and you can show me all the places you're describing in your blogg. Let me know when yall need me to come.
Tech should have beat ND. UGA looks to have a good freshman QB.
We pray for you daily. Keep up the great attitude and you'll be home before you know it!

your Bro from Conyers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home