Friday, September 21, 2007

Things Are On Schedule

I've just completed a week of testing and restaging in Houston. I got another central line put in my chest this morning for the transplant. I'll enter the hospital next Friday to start the transplant process again. It will begin with 6 days of intense chemo using a regimen call BEAM to wipe out my bone marrow. The infusion of the donor's stem cells will take place on October 5 or 6, right after the completion of BEAM.

I had concern last week when the nodes in the left side of my neck began to come back. I called the doctors at MD to alert them so they could determine if I needed another round of the previous chemo to get the nodes back down. They instead gave me a steroid, dexamethasone, which shrunk the nodes almost immediately. But that won't last long, just long enough to get me to the transplant.

So even though it has been a convoluted path to this point with the chemo, the doctor not starting the donor search on time, the infected central line, and then the additional swelling of the nodes, we are apparently just about ready.

I like my new transplant doctor, Dr. Hosing. She is responsive and communicative. The previous doctor could not be described with those adjectives, in my opinion. So after the late start getting the second donor lined up I knew I had to change doctors, even if I had to change hospitals to do it. So I requested a new doctor at MD and then I went out to Seattle for a second opinion at "Hutch." After all was said and done, my chances are just as good at MD and I know the ropes, so to speak, at MD. So, given that the new doctor at MD is compatible I decided to stay in Houston. The odds are the same, and Houston is a lot more convenient.

I'll be back home this coming week before having to return to Houston to stay awhile. Lots to do in just a few short days. It will be difficult leaving again.

1 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max,

You are a real trooper! Keep that great attitude. You are always in our prayers. Looks like things are set for you.
How 'Bout them Dawgs last weekend! Great game anytime you beat Bama.
I'll checkin later.

Your Bro from Conyers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home