Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Day 32

I guess I spoke too soon. Sunday evening I developed a low grade fever. Yesterday morning I woke up at 5:00 and took my temp. It was 101. So I showered and took off to the emergency center. As it turns out maybe I should have waited until 9:30 and kept my appointment at the ATC clinic. When I have run a fever in the past, it's always higher when I first get up. So I should have given it an hour or two to see if it would come down. As it turns out, MD doesn't count a fever until it reaches 100. I have more confidence in the ATC staff to make an informed decision than the emergency center staff.

Once you start down the emergency center (EC) route it gets complicated. They drew blood for blood cultures, and then started IV antibiotics and kept me there all day. And then they admitted me to the hospital, where I am now. I'll be lucky to talk my way out of here today. It's likely they'll keep me until tomorrow. So here I sit, sequestered on G11, the transplant floor, in an isolation room. My temp is back down this morning to 98.7. All this messes up the re-staging schedule of the scans unless I get out today. I missed the bone marrow aspiration yesterday.

I just saw "the team" of doctors, nurses, and pharmD. Dr Waino is the doc making the rounds and he just told me that the earliest he would let me out would be Thursday. That will give him just barely enough time to get the blood culture results back and ween me off of the IV antibiotics. If that doesn't work out then I'm here until next week. Bummer.

I'll never complain about being "stuck" in my hotel room again.

2 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your minor set back. I was hoping that Kathy was eluding to better news last night.

Know that Robin and I have you and your family in our prayers.

John C.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your problem. We send wishes for a quick recovery so you may continue with the testing. We expect good tests results. Prayers are being said for you. H & A.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home