Friday, September 29, 2006

Day 28

Same song, different verse.

It's Friday, but half the time I can't keep up with what day it is. They just all run together. If I can figure out the date, though, I know what day, post transplant, it is. I had the transplant on September 1, so I just take the date minus one and get the post transplant day. Isn't math wonderful? In October I'll just add the date plus 30 (the number of days in September) and then take 1 away.

I'm here now in ATC getting my phoscarnet, magnesium sulfate, and immunoglobulin. The immunoglobulin is infused weekly on Friday's. The other stuff is daily.

I did get the day "off" yesterday. That only means that I didn't have to do bloodwork and I got the phoscarnet and magnesium via a pump that they hooked up in my room instead of having to sit/lay in a hospital bed for 4+ hours. I might get the weekend off, too.

They begin to give you a few days off after about 2 weeks of seeing you daily in the ATC. Once they see a stable pattern, they give you a few days off each week. But, again, "off" just means you get the infusions via pump on your own.

The counts are about the same. The white count continues to be a yo-yo, going up and down based upon the Neupogen shots. I just got another Neupogen shot just a minute ago, between paragraphs 2 and 3.

The red counts bounce a little bit within a fairly narrow range. They were actually down a little bit this morning as was the platelet count. But they should go back up over the next few days.

I found out this morning that the white counts may take a little longer to stabilize because I got Campath as one of the pre-transplant drugs. Campath is actually a monoclonal antibody, like Rituxan. Rituxan targets cells with the CD20 protein on the surface of the cells. Campath targets cells which have the CD52 protein. It's a little broader in effect because more cells have CD52 on them than CD20. Some healthy cells, in addition to diseased cells, have CD52 on them, so Campath kills some healthy as well as diseased cells.

Campath has worked well killing CLL cells in studies and has worked somewhat effectively on me in the past as well. Apparently Campath also inhibits GvHD, graft versus host disease. So the benefits are there. It will just take a little longer for the white count to stabilize and grow on it's own.

Michael, the PharmD, was telling me about these additional effects of Campath this morning. PharmD is short for pharmacy department. It's pronounced "farm D." Medicine has it's own lingo like this. Michael appears to stay in ATC all day. Amber was the PharmD on G11, the transplant floor in the hospital. She was quite a bit cuter than Michael. Amber is a Virginia Tech grad and Michael is a North Carolina grad. Small world. I'm trusting that they will take care of their ACC kin.

In addition to the PharmD, there is the APN, the advanced practice nurse. Then there is the floor nurse, which can vary day to day. And there is the doctor. Dr. Khouri is the doctor here. He is my main doctor in the BMT department. Together, they comprise "the team." Each patient has a "team" that keeps track of him. On G11, the team there had different members, of course. The doctor varied also, depending on who had "rounds" that week. They also had a few more folks on the team, like an extra doctor or two (maybe trainees) and an extra nurse or two. On G11 they would knock briefly and come into the room virtually unanounced. They caught me in my skivvies a time or two. There is no modesty in a hospital.

In the hospital the team was all female for a couple of weeks. Dr. Sphall wanted to hear the Tech fight song, to which I obliged. I unwittingly volunteered that there some "off color" versions of the fight song, too. After that, they were more interested in the off color versions than the real thing and insisted for several days that I sing the other versions. Being a gentleman, not to mention older and a little wiser than in years past, I steadfastly refused to sing the off color versions to all these women. This despite the fact that they threatened to drug me with additional Benadryl to make me comply.

Well the IV bags are getting closer to empty and so is my mind, so I'm off to read the sports page.

7 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU LOST ME WITH ALL THAT MEDICAL LINGO. I GUESS THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE MEDICATIONS THEY ARE GIVING YOU ARE MAKING THE STEM CELL TRANSPLANT WORK!! AFTER ALL IS SAID AND DONE, BY DECEMBER YOU WILL HAVE HAD QUITE AN EXPERIENCE. THEY SHOULD GIVE YOU SOME KIND OF DIPLOMA FOR LEARNING HOW TO CURE CLL. HERBERT & ANN

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You must really be bored to be giving a paragraph-long basic math lesson. ;)

Some good football this weekend! The Tech game is going to be good (I hope). NEXT weekend though - oh boy! I have lower level 40 yard line seats to the UGA/Tennessee game. Go Dawgs!

Glad you're still doing well. Go white cells! We should write them a (clean) fight song. Alli and I will work on it. :)

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger P said...

Max,
It's beginning to turn fall here in ATL. Traffic is still bad. Kids still complain that school is too hard. Wife says I don't make enough money.....I guess there could be worse things, huh?

Although I can't decipher the lingo of your post, it sounds like things are stable with you. I may have to hit up Terrell Owens to find out about all those pills you're taking.

Hope you have a good weekend. There ought to be some good football on the tellie.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max,
I know for sure that if there is a test at the end of this that I will fail horribly...this last blog totally blew me away and I got lost in the definitions. I guess that doesn't matter as long as YOU don't get lost in it all!!!
Say hi to Lynda for me...we are praying for you two!
Cathy

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max, needless to say, I did not wear my VA Tech hat to Sunday School today, as I did last year. I was hoping the Welsh's were traveling, but no such luck. They reminded me of my lack of modesty last year.
Your logs would make for good medical school reading - sounds like you doing what should be done and that is good.
We think of you often and you get discussed most Sundays. The annual shrimp boil is on the 15th and I am sure you will once again be a topic of conversation. Actually, you are serving a good purpose, considering that we often need a topic of conversation.
Take care and keep writing.
Charlie

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max,

Your Jackets look to be for real!

Your Bro in Conyers

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max - I would watch out for Amber, the PharmD! After the drubbing we gave the Hokies Saturday, she might be seeking revenge!
Thanks for keeping us up to date via your "blog".
Stan Everett

 

Post a Comment

<< Home