Sunday, September 30, 2007

On Again, Off Again

The transplant has been postponed due my having a low grade fever and sore throat. They won't begin a transplant on someone who is sick with a cold or infection. In fact they won't even let you on the hospital transplant floor because the other patients cannot risk being exposed to someone who is sick.

I started getting sick last Wednesday. I was scheduled to go to Houston on Friday to start the process, so I went on knowing that the transplant would be postponed. Although, I really thought that they would tell me to stay in the Houston area for a few days to see how things would shake out.

They are running all sorts of blood tests to see what kind of little bug I have. It's probably just a little virus that will run its course in the 48 to 72 hours it will take to get the results of the tests back. But that is long enough to necessitate a delay in the transplant. So the doctor let me come back home yesterday.

This is some kind of mental and emotional roller coaster ride. But I'm happy to be back home. It's pretty difficult to wrap up about every aspect of your life in order to be gone for a long time. And then to get to come back for a few days is indeed a sweet reprieve.

I can't let that paragraph go by without sympathizing with our troops going on long combat deployments. Wrapping up things and saying good-bye to your family knowing that there is a chance you won't come back has to be a gut wrenching experience. So every time I want to feel sorry for myself I think of them.

Okay, now for the good stuff - FOOTBALL. Can you believe Tech and Clemson? Those two programs have perfected the art of fan disappointment over the last 35 years like few other teams. Tech came out on top in this year's version of who wants to lose worse. Tech 13 Clemson 3.

I enjoyed all the upsets although I got to watch very little of any game due to the plane ride back to Atlanta. The really bad thing about delaying the transplant is that it will extend my time in Houston through football season, causing me to have to suffer basketball.

I'll post again in a few days when things clear up and my mental yo-yo is yet again yanked into action.

3 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm here for you Bro. You sure brought things to light by mentioning our troops. Brooke's boyfriend just went in the Army last Wed. He knows he'll be going to Iraq and is ready to go. God Bless him and those others that are willing to serve our country.
You are a real inspiration to us all Max. I love you, man! Hang in there, we'll make it through this thing.
All the upsets in college football this weekend were good. keep an eye on USF, #6, they are up and coming.

Your Bro in Conyers

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max,

Sorry to hear that you are sick however I am sure it is nice to be back home for a few more days.

Hopefully you had a chance to see all the big upsets this weekend besides Clemson.

After our big win agaist the 'Noles, we had a pretty light schedule until Tech. Hopefully Bowden is picking up the pieces and moving on, the balance of our schedule is pretty meaty.

Keep up the fight! if there is anything we can help with on the home front, please don't hesitate to call.

John C.

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max,

Rick was kind enough to give my your blog site. Cheryl and I are praying for you that this treatment will be successful. We are all in your court.

With respect to Tech, they will do better in the next few weeks. Success sometimes does not suit them.

Lamar and Cheryl Lowe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home