Saturday, March 22, 2008

2nd Infusion Went Well

The second infusion was much less intense than the first as I detailed in the previous post. It was still a long day, though. They started sodium bicarbonate via IV an hour before the infusion of the SNS032 drug. That's the stuff that's suppose to protect the kidneys. It doesn't sound very sophisticated. I guess they just go back to the kitchen and mix it up.

The SNS032 infusion lasts 6 hours and 15 minutes. The first 15 minutes is a heavier dose. Then there's 6 hours of a single dose. There were no side effects.

The whole process took about 9 hours from when we checked into the outpatient clinic. We got there about 1:15 and left at 10:15. Lynda was pretty bored I'm sure, but I slept through a lot of it. As it turns out we were deep enough into the building I couldn't get a cell phone signal for my Verizon air card.

This stuff does make you tired. Here it is Saturday and I could take a nap at any time - even after a very good night's sleep. So far that seems to be the only side affect.

The big node under my right arm seems to have gone down a little. It's still there, but it has not grown, it's less sore, and I belief smaller in size. So maybe this stuff is working. They did say that it would act much slower than previous chemotherapy. So I'm trying to be patient.

My eyes have been hurting since last Sunday. It's GvHD they think. It doesn't seem related to the Sunesis drug. GvHD or previous chemo has affected the function of my tear glands. I can't make any tears, so my eyes dry out very badly. They were already bothering me before Sunday, but something changed and they got dramatically worse. It felt like I got soap in my eyes and I couldn't get it out. I spent all day Sunday with a cold wet compress on my eyes. I went to the eye doctor there at MD Monday and Tuesday. They put me on steroid eye drops and ointment. Plus I have several over the counter products they have me using to keep my eyes moist. This is a real pain - literally and figuratively. Some of the drops and ointments make my eyes blurry, so I can't see well. I'm very sensitive to light also. So sunlight, TV, and computer have been difficult to endure. Today, though, they seem to be better. At least I'm able to get on the computer.

The GvHD started in my feet and worked it's way up through my mouth and is now, I guess, in my eyes. It took a good week for it to resolve in each affected area, so I'm hoping for the same time frame in my eyes. My feet, hands, and mouth are much much better. I would say all that is 99% resolved. The outer layer of skin on my feet is peeling again. My hands have about completed their peeling. My mouth is pretty much back to normal. So now I've got to get my eyes back.

I go back to Houston this week for the third infusion of the Sunesis drug. Then I get a week off. So it's three infusions per month. They will let you have as much as 6 months worth. Exactly how many cycles I get depends on my response.

5 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max,

Glad to hear you're making progress. I can't even imagine the discomfort level that you're enduring. Hang in there. I know you're glad to get home between treatments. Keep us updated. You're in our prayers!

Alan

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max, good to know you are improving some and that there are no known side effets of the Sunesis. There's no way for us to imagine the pain you're having with your eyes. Keep us informed as we keep you in our prayers. H & A.

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Max.I hope your eyes resolve soon the ease the pain.Glad to hear that the node under your arm might be responding.
All the best.
Tyler

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sodium bicarbonate?? Why are traveling all the way to Houston for simple ol’ baking soda? Save your self some trouble and ask Lynda run down to Kroger and pick up a box or two. (if life were only that simple!)

Did you know Earnest Solvay, the person who invented the Solvay process which is the process of producing Na HCO3 was born in Brussels? He was one of the first business owners to implement a 8 hour work days in his factories, and gave his workers paid vacations and a pension plan.

Now you are asking how does my friend who graduated from Clemson and still has to take his shoes off to count past 10 know this?

Earnest also created a very successful multi-national chemical company that still bears his name. Their divisional headquarters in Marietta which I have been to, has a plaque with this bit of trivia on it. You have to at least give me credit for being able to read.

Hope you are doing well.

John C.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max,

You are amazing! We are all praying for you, and we know that your indomitable spirit will prevail. Thanks for keeping us informed through your blog. Keep blogging!

Rhys

 

Post a Comment

<< Home