Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Back Home - Again

I finished the chemo up Sunday morning. And I met with my leukemia doctor, Dr. Keating, Monday morning. We tried to fly out Monday afternoon but got caught behind a massive 900 mile weather front that swept through Texas and the mid-west. So we spent the night with my brother and sister-in-law in Houston and got out Tuesday afternoon.

The chemo had an immediate effect, although not total, on the nodes. It takes about three weeks for the chemo to run its course, so there should be more progress to be made. Plus they gave me a steroid by the name of dexamethasone which they used before to successfully beat back the disease.

So I hope that in about three weeks we'll be trying the second transplant. I will be laying low in the meantime to keep from picking up any more bugs. So, ya'll are not going to see much of me. No ballgames for me except what's on the tube.

I still haven't heard from MD about the transplant schedule, which makes me a little nervous. You get a little paranoid after going through all this and having the multiple delays.

I'm sure I'll have to have some blood and platelets later this week or early next week since the red blood counts get hit so hard with this particular chemo cocktail. I've already started daily Neupogen shots to get the neutrophils (neutrophils are the white blood components that fight infection) up.

That's the news at this point.

3 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed our talking to you this afternoon. You may have not have noticed but I that I did not mention the Georgia Tech Clemson game. Tech deserve to win the game, they were able to hold our star running backs (Spiller and Davis) to a dismal 62 yards. You can't win at Bobby Dodd by just kicking field goals.

Hope you are feeling better and will be on your way to Houston soon.

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're sure are an inspiration to everyone !
Had to check out your blog - hadn't done that in some time...honestly...lost the address....I know that doesn't surprise you. The blog fairy came and found it & I'm not talking about Ned being that fairy either.
But just want you to know...those that know you - love you more each day...those that don't are really missing out.
Keep up the meds & and keep up with your painters.

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max,
Just got word of your blog and had a chance to read it. I have missed seeing you and Lynda at church, always looking for you and hoping to see you looking healthier and stronger. You and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers.
I see you can use platelets. If I can do this for you, and they will take mine, please post where one should go to do this.
Hang tough.
Jim W.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home