Saturday, October 27, 2007

I Got More Platelets Yesterday

The CBC yesterday showed platelet count down to 5,000 - real low. So I took my trip to St. Jo's outpatient oncology facility for a little booster. Red counts look okay with hemoglobin at 9.9. The white count is starting to perk up, too. I just have to keep these counts for the next week when they are going to take them all down to zero again beginning next Friday. But I'll be in the hospital at MD then and they will monitor me very closely. I'm sure I'll have blood and platelets there, too.

We seem to making it over the first few hurdles this time. The donor is lined up. I'm staying healthy, so far. Now the chemo has to go well at MD. And the new stem cells have to engraft thoroughly, as in close to 100%. Last transplant the white cell engraftment only got up to 67%, far below the requirement of 98 to 100%. That is a big big hurdle for which I'll need all the prayers I can get.

Now for my favorite - football predictons. I say my favorite, but my real favorite may be politcs, but I figure I'll tick fewer people off with football and I need all the friends I can get. But I might start a political blog, who knows.

The big game of course to most folks around here will be the Florida and Georgia. Florida benefited greatly from having a week off before playing Kentucky, while Kentucky had the tough win against LSU the week before. So my prediction of a KY win was flawed by not taking those facts into account. Now doesn't the same situation exist for UGA and FL this week? Yes, of course. The problem is Florida is too strong even with Tebow, the quarterback, a little banged up. Georgia's defense is pretty porous, just ask Tennessee. So I'll take Florida by two touchdowns in this one, and it may not be this close. It will be either real close or a blow out by Florida, IMHO.

Speaking of Tennessee. They play South Carolina in Knoxville. Spurrier, the old ball coach, has had Fulmer's number for years. But Tennessee has a quarterback. South Carolina has two, both mediocre quarterbacks. The game is in Tennessee and Fulmer needs a win. But, watch out, if SC gets up early, Tennessee will quit and get blown out when the fans boo loudly and leave. I still think Tennessee has to win this one and will, but watch out early.

Tech won't lose this week since they don't play until Thursday. Then they take on Virginia Tech here in Atlanta. Tech has lost their two starting running backs so it will likely be a long night for Tech. The only hope we have is that the loss of the starting backs might force Gailey into some truly creative offensive schemes that surprise VT. That would be very different for Gailey who is so conservative it hurts. We are capable, but it's a long shot. I'll take VT by my usual two touchdowns unless Tech scores with their defense and special teams, and or a razzle dazzle play or two.

UVA is so lucky it hurts this year. They have won three close ones on pure luck. I'll take them again against a weak NC State team. Virginia has four tough games coming up after this one, and should win two of them and might play for the league championship.

Clemson over Maryland. Maryland lost that heartbreaker last week to UVA and will be down and out I think. Clemson needs to redeem itself.

Ohio State should handle Penn State in Happy Valley. OSU is strong and wanting that ring and Penn State just doesn't have enough to stop them.

Out west is interesting. I'll take Arizona State over Cal. Dennis Erickson, now at ASU, is a real live coach playing at home. Oregon over Southern Cal because USC is starting their young back up quarterback for only the second time. That will be a high scoring game, but the Ducks have one heck of an offensive, as does USC. Both of those games will be very entertaining games. I love those west coast offenses. Wish we (Tech) had one - at least we could always make it exciting.

Thanks to BC's hurry up offensive and VT's ineptitude for bailing out my last Thursday prediction in the last five minutes of the game, which I didn't watch.

We'll see. Go Jackets.

3 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max, you can count on the whole class for thoughts and for prayers. We are reading your blogs and keeping up with your progress.
John

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the news is good.

I hope you enjoyed a good weekend of Football. That Tennessee vs SC game as good as college football gets! if you were able to stay up until the end. I almost gave up after the half.

I would be happy to discuss poltics however let's wait until after football season, of course that would be after the eletcions...

BUT WAIT... we still have a FULL YEAR before the next general election! Can you believe it? You would think with all the chest thumping and grand standing on TV, that the elections are this week!

John C.

 
At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Max,
My daughter, Alison, now attends South Carolina and I can't believe they lost the game on Saturday. What a disappointing loss after coming from behind! Spurrier better get it in gear for the next round or we are in trouble.
Still praying for you and thinking about you often.
Cathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home